Oneproblem

It is so turned around these days.

Thursday, June 15, 2006

This is nothing new.




Well I have realized that the best way to generate blog traffic is to post something controversial. So in my quest to debunk liberal thinking I will weigh in on this whole Ann Coulter deal. I am amazed at how much froth her statements have churned. For the longest time liberals have written her off as an obnoxious, insignificant bimbo righty. What has changed? Now she has written statements that are mean, contemptible and downright malicious. Why is this a big deal? Do you know how often we are bombarded by equal if not worse from the left? Just about daily. I will give liberals this. For the most part they are usually more creative when it comes to deriding those with whom they don't agree. But now the right has someone that rivals some of the lefts best and, now, it is somehow not o.k. Do you not see the double standard here?

Let me continue by saying that I do not condone what she has written. I do however agree with the bigger point that she is trying to make. The things that she has written makes it hard for those who oppose to see her point. I think it is safe to say that conservatives generally choose to take the moral high ground when it comes to ridiculing people and their ideas. This is what usually promotes the stereotype of conservatives being bland, boring and uncreative. And I am fine with that stereotype. I think it beats the alternative. But now we have someone on the right gaining some media traction and all of a sudden the sky is falling. ***grumble grumble** "This takes freedom of speech too far!" Why now are liberals willing to come within inches of suicide by falling on their own sword of "censorship?" Because they simple don't agree.

We have to remember that Ann Coulter is a satirist. She writes satire. I have seen worse things written from Maureen Dowd but nobody seems to cry in their lattes over her tripe. Just listen to the silliness about Christians that comes from Bill Maher's pie hole. I am mistaken? Is there some sort of secret rule that grants liberals a pass because what they do is "art" or "comedy?" When I watch Bill Maher I can't help feeling that he is wrapping a turd of hate in a sweet comedy candy shell.

So to my fellow liberals. Don't get your collective panties in a wad. The mirror has been held up and you don't like what you see. That's a natural and healthy reaction. But it is amazing how the response from the left so far has been nothing but classy. (that last statement was satirical in nature)

I do not recommend watching Henry Rollins reaction to Ann Coulter. But it is typical of how liberals will guise their hate with comedy. I am not gonna link to it but any combination of their names in a Google search will lead you to it. It is truly vile. Viewer discretion is advised.

13 Comments:

At 7:34 AM, Blogger BJ Aberle said...

Yeah he's got a lot of misguided hate and little understanding. Some great music though.

 
At 12:21 AM, Blogger O'Brien's Briar Patch said...

BJ,

I completely disagree with you on your claim Coulter is a satirist. If she were a satirist it would be completely different.

The one conservative Ben Stein is a satirist; conservative PJ O'Rourke is a satirist; Coulter is not.

Bill Maher is a comedian - get it - a comedian.

And don't make the claim that if some serious liberal got up and said the same similiar crap as Coulter, that you all's panties wouldn't be tightening.

Hell, have you forgotten the reaction to Kayne West's comment about Bush not liking black people or the outrage over the lead singer of the Dixie Chicks' comments?

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger BJ Aberle said...

Kanye West's remarks were uneducated and stupid so I let his slide. But Bill Maher has said some hateful things in his comedy. Do we just let him have a pass? Ann Coulter herself says she is a satirist. I have heard others say the same about her.

Hell, have you forgotten the reaction to Kayne West's comment about Bush not liking black people or the outrage over the lead singer of the Dixie Chicks' comments?

Exactly my point Scott!!! We have heard the same for years. Nothing new. I don't care if we all fuss and fight over this it's just that it is nothing new we haven't already heard.

 
At 10:30 PM, Blogger O'Brien's Briar Patch said...

BJ,

Each time I have ever seen Coulter on television (and one time is too many) she has never been in a "satirst" mode. She speaks to inflame and divide. But now it looks like she can add another name to her list: plagiarist.

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger BJ Aberle said...

So what if she were a comedian? Would you still have a problem with what she writes?

 
At 10:40 PM, Blogger O'Brien's Briar Patch said...

BJ,

Come on. Don't tell me that you do not give weight to the words of a writer who means to be taken serious versus that of a comedian trying to be funny or sarcastic.

As you typed over at my place recently, if you do, you aren't being honest.

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger BJ Aberle said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger BJ Aberle said...

No, it was just a question. I think that she does both. She means what she writes. She does it in a way, to me, that is truthful and funny. Isn't that satire? And isn't that really what makes it funny? The truth of it all.

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger O'Brien's Briar Patch said...

Kind of like having your cake and eating it too?

Like I've typed though, of the times I've seen her on the television, I've not seen her try to be outwardly and obviously funny.

Hell, even her friend Bill Maher has seemed to quit inviting her on his HBO show and has publicly questioned some of her remarks.

 
At 5:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As for Maher it seems to me that he is a libertarian in his political outlook who has at times said things that offend either liberals or conservatives.

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger BJ Aberle said...

Snark,
I agree, her writing is funny laced with golden nuggets of truth. TV no so much.

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger BJ Stone said...

I've read books from both Al Franken and Ann Coulter. I read them without prejudice, and searched the internet to find backup to the claims they made.

In all honesty, all partisanship aside, Al Franken's books are much more based in fact that can be backed up than Ann Coulter's are.

I found very little truth in Coulter's stuff. I found more truth in Bill O'Rielly's ramblings.

But I was able to find less faults (many, but less) with Coulter's claims than Sean Hannity. That dude wouldn't know the truth if it slapped him in the face. He's gone. Wacko. Vonsterish.

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger BJ Aberle said...

Hannity HAS gone wacko indeed. I can't stand him anymore. I have to disagree though about Coulter. I think she is truthful and witty. Just like Franken, a potentialy leathal combination.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home