Oneproblem

It is so turned around these days.

Thursday, June 01, 2006

I have to admit my hypocrisy.


Just recently I commented on Scott O’Brien’s blog how I agreed with him that all of the technology that surrounds us only tears us apart. I have blogged in the past about how the video iPod will encourage anti-social behavior. I have seen firsthand how gameboys and the like keep nieces and nephews from interacting with the rest of the family. And I have problems with how these devices are transforming us from spiritual creatures to digital creatures. So with that being said, I have to admit that this weekend I purchased an iPod. 30G. Video…….. I actually have been wanting one all along. But $$$ ain’t growing on trees.

"What?"
"Why are you looking at me like that?"

I know what you’re thinking. “The iPod is just the gateway device. Next it will be an X-box and then a new Mac iBook!” Please rest assured that I have not gone off the deep end.

My wife and I are planning a long road trip and I thought “wouldn’t it be nice to not take a case of all the music we like?” I never thought I would actually get an iPod but once she saw the demo at American this weekend I knew our fate was sealed. Her only caveat “don’t get the black one.” You would have thought that I just won the lottery.

I will say though for connoisseurs of music it is truly a great piece of technology. I have been importing music from years gone by. I have been rediscovering albums that had slipped into obscurity solely because they did not make it into our traveling CD case. Now I have just about all of them and can recall them with a moments notice. For the 6 or 7 of you who actually read Oneproblem, I hope things aren’t awkward from now on. Can we still be friends?

4 Comments:

At 8:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your next step is a move to XM Satellite. I'll freely admit that as a music freak that used to buy too many albums and now buys too many cd's, I'm completely addicted to it for all the music that I haven't heard in years and to the music that I've never heard.

Altough I don't personally own an Ipod, two of my youngish daughters do and love it. (ages 8 & 12).

I don't want to admit that we used to listen to this stuff on casette tapes that only held 45min per side record off of something called an album which sometimes was scratchy and skipped...

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger BJ Aberle said...

I miss records. I remember listening to Def Leppard's High n Dry just looking at the album cover and reading the liner notes. Scratch, nasty, analogy but yet somehow wonderful.

 
At 8:52 PM, Blogger BJ Stone said...

I have a copy of Steve Earle's "Exit 0" on vinyl that is nearly worn out. And it keeps sounding better and better.

As a GM of four radio stations, I won't subscribe to XM or Sirius, I believe in local radio, not jukeboxes that I don't have a say in what songs get punched in. So I may eventually go the way of an I-pod, but right now I'm into my stations, any local radio content, and CD's.

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger BJ Aberle said...

I believe in local radio stations too. There is no way XM can provide the service that local stations can. They never will. So if you are a talkie station that's good news for you. If you are music station it's "hasta la bye bye."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home