Oneproblem

It is so turned around these days.

Monday, January 07, 2008

Evan Knoblauch




When I was in high school my speech teacher was pregnant. She had a son. Years passed and in the course of life, things like a pregnant speech teacher rarely made its' way back to the forefront of memory. But there is something about good teachers that is special. They make impressions that last. My speech teacher was a good teacher.

My wife and I were watching the news Saturday when the very first thing reported was the death of Evan Knoblauch. Immediately my wife was struck with shock and disbelief. The last year and a half, Evan had been a student in my wife’s History and Sociology classes. I knew of Evan before his death even though I had never met him. My wife rarely comments on her students but she used to tell me how sweet and nice Evan was. She said that he was always in a good mood and made a positive impact when he was in the classroom. She said that he had a rare and healthy dose of respect for his teachers. I never knew him but I think it would be safe to say that he would make any parent proud.

I know my wife was kept up that night thinking about what had happened. Since I had no real connection to Evan, I was preoccupied with what his parents were going through. I did not know who they were but I just imagined the way my mother and father were when my brother died. Then I replaced them with stranger’s faces.

My wife went to the service at the high school they had for Evan last night. When she came back we talked. She told me that it was sad but relatively short. Among the details it was discovered that Evan's mother was my high school speech teacher. I could not believe it. When you are in high school sometimes you get the impression that your teachers do not lead lives outside of school. That they arrive at school, collect your homework and then retreat to their homes where they do weird things like build Civil War Reenactment scenes in their basement. But you forget that they are people too. All I could think about was her sobbing uncontrollably.

This teacher, Mrs. Knoblauch, who was pregnant when I took her speech class in 1989 had a son. His name was Evan. For the last year and a half my wife had a fine young man in her class. His name was Evan.

During this painful time, may God's peace be of some comfort to you and your family Mrs. Knoblauch.



Thank you Chance for putting this tribute together. God bless.

8 Comments:

At 6:57 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Oh, gosh, this is making me cry. So sad for his family. I can't even imagine something so awful.

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger Fraochán said...

This is so very sad. Very sad. I cannot imagine the pain of losing one of your children - it must be horrific. And to lose such a bright star....wow. I too teach....and let me tell you....I find that those respectful and positive kids are hard to come across. And when they do cross your path - it makes your job worth every single second of stress. I can only imagine the pain your wife is feeling...and the family of such a bright star.....

 
At 6:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny how things work out that way, but it's nice to see you're posting about it. I've been in your wife's us history and soc classes for the past couple years as well.

If you wanted another video for the blog, I put one together the night of the accident.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPE-OAUnuDo

 
At 6:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, I'm sure you don't know me, but I'm a student of Mrs. Aberle's Sociology class, and I was linked here by one of my friends.

I just wanted to comment on how wonderful this blog was put together, and it is incredible to see how one kid change more peoples lives at the age of 18 than most people can by the age of 80. I also wanted to comment on this:
"When you are in high school sometimes you get the impression that your teachers do not lead lives outside of school."

That statement is very true, and generally during school everyones teacher is happy, and if they are upset, they wont show it while teaching. Seeing almost every one of my teachers at the visitation, and most of them having tears in their eyes, really struck a nerve and really made one realize how one tragic thing can bring everyone closer as a community.

 
At 8:15 PM, Blogger BJ Aberle said...

Chance and Austin,
Thanks for stopping bye. This must be tough for you guys. (The whole school for that matter) Sometimes words fail us in these situations. I have been saddened by this, but I can only imagine your pain. You will be in our thoughts and prayers. And if you see me and Mrs. Aberle at a basketball game or other event please don't be afraid to introduce yourselves and just say "hi." Take care.

BJ

 
At 6:27 AM, Blogger Erika said...

So-- My co-teacher at princeville that I work for knew Evan's dad while they coached track together. He knew Evan at age 5. And some other area football coaches have said he's such a neat kid. And they didn't even know who he was, but has watched him on on the field..and he's so polite and respectful.
I watched the video and wow. It's gotta be hard.
Tell Vicki Hi for me.

 
At 8:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also remember Mrs. Knoblauch from high school (I graduated in 91 also). I am so sorry to hear of this tragedy and my prayers will be with the family.

 
At 10:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

even know i was in 8 th grade when this pasinful thing happend to evan i felt sad and know i go to wchs where he spent his last 4 yrs i feel happy just to know i still havve some what of evan may he rest in peace we miss u evan number 2 love jessica h.freshman1 wchs

 

Post a Comment

<< Home